You might have heard some clean eating tips from a friend or a famous Hollywood star, but what does it really mean? Clean eating is not a new concept. It’s actually very simple and has been around for quite some time.
The idea of clean eating is to be mindful of what you eat. Basically, you have to get rid of processed foods and eat more natural foods, meaning whole, organic, unprocessed foods.
Here are my easy clean eating tips to get you started:
- Go for whole, raw, unprocessed foods. Fruits and vegetables are good for your body. They contain antioxidants and nutrients that boost your immunity, making you healthier, leaner and have better overall well being. If you’re not able to find raw, organic, unprocessed foods, go for the less processed, less ingredients-containing product.
- Eat various types of food. You shouldn’t starve yourself. You should try everything in the food pyramid. The key to clean eating is to keep away from processed foods and GMO. Remember, you get different vitamins and nutrients from certain food groups. Keep it simple. If a product contains too much ingredients that you are not even aware of, stay away from it.
- Eat in portions. Just because you have no food restrictions doesn’t mean you won’t watch what you eat. Too much of anything always leads to disaster. Divide your food into smaller portions and eat more often. This way, you’re giving your digestive system enough time to digest your food and your body is able to burn it more efficiently.
- Refined carbohydrates and sugar is the culprit. The number of patients with diabetes is rising every year. Type II diabetes is associated with too much consumption of sugar and carbohydrates. Refined carbohydrates and sugar have zero nutritional value and they can cause a spike in your blood glucose level. Furthermore, they contain empty calories that make you feel hungry so you crave more sugary treats, making you gain more weight. If you want to sweeten your food, use ground cinnamon, dates, honey, coconut nectar, or maple syrup.
- Refrain from eating too much meat. Meat is a good source of protein. But eating meat can lead to an array of diseases due to its unhealthy fats and it often contains hormones or other toxins, too. To avoid eating too many fats, go for lean meat so you get all the protein you need minus the deadly fats. Make sure all meat comes from reliable, organic sources. Eat more fish and beans. Fish is a good source of Omega 3 fatty acids, which is good for your heart. Beans are a good alternative to meat since they contain high amounts of protein.
- Alcohol, smoking and drugs are off limits. Your ultimate objective with clean eating is to be healthier. Alcohol, drugs and smoking destroys your body in so many ways. Your effort with eating clean will just go to waste if you don’t restrict yourself from such vices.
Clean eating has one simple rule: eat natural foods and eat mindfully. These clean eating tips serve as your guide to start with a healthier, better you.