Many people turn to junk food as it is a cheap way of living but you will ultimately pay the higher price with your health. Here are a few things you can do today, (some of which are entirely free) to improve your long term health and emotional wellbeing.
Kombucha, is a fermented drink that is packed full of goodness. It is a simple beverage to make using only 4 ingredients. It has been known to improve digestion, aid weight loss, and to even improve chronic ailments such as asthma and high blood pressure.
How to make a simple Kombucha
- First you’re going to need a starter culture (scoby) this can be purchased online very cheaply. The scoby is a fat-like disc which contains all the good bactiria that you’ll need in order for your drink to ferment in a healthy delicious way. With each batch of Kombucha that you make, a new scoby will be formed at the top of the container that you use. You may wish to give these away as gifts or to even sell them!
- Use 6 green tea bags and around 160 to 200g of white organic sugar in a large glass container (white sugar ferments better than other varieties, just be sure to select a good one that hasn’t been bleached) Add a kettle full of boiling water and mix gently. Once the mixture is cooled completely you can then remove the tea bags. Add the scoby and let the magic begin, cover your large glass container with some muslin cloth and put in a warm dark place where it will not be disturbed. As the days past you’ll start to notice the new scoby starting to form on top, the longer you leave it the thicker it will become and the fizzier your kombucha will taste.
Bananas are still the most popular fruit in our supermarkets today, but many people still don’t know just what they can do for our long term health.
- Energy. Bananas are a great source of essential carbohydrates which are vital to muscle repair. They contain enough glycogen to replace what the muscles use during a workout making them a great inexpensive post workout snack, far better for you than any other chemical laden energy bar.
- Happiness. Depression has become more known than ever, and what’s worrying is that it is becoming more frequently seen in children as young as 5 years old, the modern day diet is taking it’s toll on the future generations with 1 in 10 children and young people aged 5 – 16 suffer from a diagnosable mental health disorder – that is around three children in every class. Bananas releases a mood regulating substance called tryptophan which converts to serotonin in the brain, meaning that bananas really do make you happy.
- They can be used in a number of recipes from smoothies to pancakes
Whether you’re looking to lose weight, cure/ alleviate a health problem or just looking for a way to pack in the nutrients in one simple step juicing is the way to go. Although some of the better juicers on the market can be a bit pricey it’s worth the one- off investment. Once you have purchased your juicer none of the fruits and vegetables in your kitchen will need never go to waste.
- Micro-nutrients. Juicing removes the fiber of the fruit temporary alleviating pressure from the digestive system, allowing a chance to cleanse.
- Juice fasts and detox programs are widely used for effective cleansing of vital organs such as the liver.
- Adding just one juice a day into your regular diet will make a positive impact, to the health of your skin, hair and mental wellbeing.
This one may seem obvious, but it’s not all about the quantity of water that you drink, what’s more important is the quality of water you are consuming. Though there is state imposed filtration systems in place, they can never fully purify the water, and even if they could they then off load poisonous fluoride (toxic waste) into what we are supposed to drink. A one off purchase of a distiller which will provide you with pure clean water for life is an essential. The residue left over will shock you. It works by heating the water and you are left with clean uncontaminated water. If your budget can’t stretch to this you can find the world’s best water from a local spring. Find one close to you using Daniel Vitalis’ website www.findaspring.com
- Drink up to 2L of water a day, if you are nursing mother you should be aiming for 4L.
- Add fresh lemon and mint leaves to your water for a refreshing twist.
- Never let yourself get thirsty, once you are thirsty the effects of dehydration have already taken place. This includes headaches, and lack of concentration.
- Most of the time when you think you are hungry you are indeed thirsty!
- Use a glass container for your water and avoid plastic. If you use a plastic bottle make sure it is BPA free as these plastics can have a negative impact on the body particularly the immune system, and hormonal health.
- Be kind
This is completely free, and probably the best thing you can do for yourself and others. By being a happier person you will omit a positive energy field which in turn will become infectious among the people you surround yourself with. Along with the practice of meditation you are able to prolong your life energy and become connected with the world that you are truly a part of.
“We are here to awaken from our illusion of separateness.”― Thích Nhất Hạnh. As soon as we all realize we come from the same source the whole perspective of the world will change, but it’s a group effort.
“You must be the change you want to see in the world.” ―Mahatma Gandhi.
Be an inspiration to your friends and family, teach them all that you know, and with time they’ll do the same.