You may not have tried essential oils yet, but have heard a lot about their amazing uses. Your interest has been piqued, but you’re not sure where to get started.
Rather than try to wade through the confusing array of essential oils and blends, it’s best to get started with a few that really are the most important to keep on hand. In fact, you can even replace over 15 over the counter medications with just three basic, essential oils.
Dr Daniel Penoel, world renowned for his application of essential oils in medical settings, states that “synthetic substances have only two functions — to block and to kill.” He also says that essential oils “Help regenerate, balance, calm, bring energy, and many more functions too numerous to mention.”
So, why not replace synthetic medications with natural options that are much better for you?
3 Basic Essential Oils and Sample Health Uses for Newbies
If you’re a newbie to essential oils, start with these power-packed oils. Always keep them on hand, use them and continue to explore their terrific abilities to keep you and your family healthy.
1. Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon is a favorite because of its disinfecting and antibacterial properties. Here’s what medicines you can replace with lemon essential oil.
- Acne medications
- Children’s Tylenol
Sample Health Uses
- Acne – Put 3 drops of lemon oil on cotton ball and apply to clean and dry affected areas of the skin.
- Upper Respiratory problems – Add a few drops lemon oil in your humidifier to slow wheezing, cough, colds and allergy symptoms.
2. Lavender Essential Oil
This essential oil is a favorite for many because of its soothing properties and light, natural smell. It’s great as a sleep aid, for sinus irritations, allergies, and as a soothing skin treatment. Proper use of lavender essential oil can replace many common medications. Replace the following medications with natural lavender for safer, toxic free health uses.
- Calamine lotion
- Tylenol PM
Sample Healthy Uses
- Itchy, dry skin – Forget the chemical smelling lotions. Just add lavender oil to fractionated coconut oil. Rub on skin for soothing relief.
- Minor skin irritation and scrapes – Rub lavender oil on irritated or scratched areas of the skin instead of Neosporin. You’ll be surprised at how well it works. Also, got a splinter? Don’t bother digging it out of your skin, put a few drops of lavender oil on the injury. It will naturally swell and slip out on its own.
3. Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint essential oil is known for its superior health uses, especially for gastric disturbances, headaches and muscle cramps. It’s also one of the strongest of all the essential oils and should never be used undiluted on the skin or taken internally unless mixed in teas or food items.
It smells exhilarating and packs a punch when it comes to working effectively. Here’s a few over the counter medications you can replace with this very useful essential oil.
Sample Health Uses
- Indigestion – Warm a cup of water. Add one drop of therapeutic grade peppermint oil. If preferred for taste, add a spoonful of honey. Stir and sip to ease stomach problems.
- Muscle cramps and spasms – Mix a blend of 2 drops of peppermint oil, 4 drops of sweet marjoram and 2 drops of sandalwood with 20 ml of sweet almond carrier oil. Massage into painful areas.
Are Essential Oils Safe?
As with any natural substance, there are safety issues, so be wise in using essential oils. The National Association for Holistic Aromotheraphy provides extensive safety recommendations, but also states that “The informed use of essential oils may create occasional irritation or minor discomfort, but it is extremely unlikely to create serious injury or lasting physical problems, particularly when basic guidelines are followed.”
So, do your homework as you would with any health product if you’re new to essential oil use. If you have any side effects, stop using any oil immediately. However, be prepared to be wowed by the effective, natural and surprising usefulness of these top 3 essential oils.