What is Bacterial Vaginosis?
Bacterial vaginosis is a fairly popular vaginal infection. Normally, there are both positive and negative bacteria existing in the vaginal area. However, when the balance is off, this mild infection will happen.
What are the symptoms of Bacterial Vaginosis?
There are some symptoms which you can experience in case of developing bacterial vaginosis which are excessive discharge from the vaginal area, having fishy odor occasionally, itchiness and even pain while urinating.
What causes Bacterial Vaginosis?
Some particular factors which can trigger the off-balance of bacteria in the vaginal area can be douching, smoking excessively, new or having more than one partner at sex.
This infection is considered not serious and can heal on its own. However, it is still suggested to have it treated as soon as possible. Read more: top 15 most effective vaginal odor treatment.
Here are the top 10 most recommended home remedies for bacterial vaginosis treatment that you can apply as soon as possible in order to get rid of this infection and improve your sexual health.
1. Oregano Oil
With antifungal and antibacterial effects, oregano oil is one of the most suggested home remedies for bacterial vaginosis treatment. It is capable of eliminating germs that trigger bacterial vaginosis as well as prevent the infection from recurring. For this treatment, it is best to use non-alcohol oregano oil.
- Put 3 drops of oregano oil into a tbsp of olive oil. Put the mixed oil onto the infected area for about 2 hours. Practice once every day.
- Also you can put 3 drops of oregano oil into some warm water and ingest twice every day. Practice for 1 – 2 months.
2. Tea Bag
With astringent and antibiotic effects, tannins from tea bag can help you ease the burning sensation and alleviate irritation as well as swelling. This is one of the simplest yet rather effective home remedies for bacterial vaginosis treatment.
- Put the tea bag into some warm water for about 15 minutes.
- Then put it into the fridge for chilling in several minutes.
- After that, put the tea bag onto the infected area for obtaining relief from itchiness.
- Practice 3 – 4 times every day in couples of week.
3. Indian Lilac
Also called margosa or neem, this herb possesses the antifungal and antibacterial effects which are excellent against inflammation and itchiness. It can even eliminate the germs causing infection which is the reason why it is highly regarded as one of the best home remedies for bacterial vaginosis treatment.
- Warm up some neem leaves using the pan without water or any liquid.
- Let the leaves cool down before grinding into some fine powder.
- Put 2 tsps of powder into some water to create a paste.
- Put the paste onto the area inside and outside the vagina for about 30 minutes before washing off using warm water.
- Practice twice every day.
4. Coconut Oil
Containing various positive effects such antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral, coconut oil can efficiently eliminate the germs causing bacterial vaginosis as well as protect the vaginal area from any more infections.
- Put some coconut oil onto the infected area for 3 times every day.
- Also you can put a tampon into coconut oil and soak before inserting it into the vagina for few hours. After that, take out the tampon and wash off using warm water. Practice once every day for couples of day.
- You might include the coconut oil in your daily cooking for better effect.
The lactobacilli bacteria from milk are the essential bacteria that play a huge role in the home remedies for bacterial vaginosis treatment. Besides, milk will also help improve the strength of your immunity in order to ward off any infection.
- Prepare some chilled milk and put a tampon in there to soak. Then insert the soaked tampon into the vagina for about 1 – 2 hours. Practice once every day for couples of day.
- Also you can put a tsp of turmeric powder into some warm milk and ingest once every day.
The capability of fenugreek in improving the level of pH in the vagina as well as boosting the immunity and accelerating the healing is the reason why fenugreek is highly regarded within the home remedies for bacterial vaginosis treatment.
- Put 2 tbsps of fenugreek seeds into some water and soak overnight. Next morning, ingest that water while the stomach is still empty. Practice every day for 1 month.
- Put a tsp of fenugreek powder into some yogurt. Ingest twice every day for couples of day.
- Also you can put a tsp of fenugreek seeds into some hot water and steep for 5 minutes. After straining, put in some honey and ingest this tea 2 – 3 times every day.
Garlic is considered the antibiotic from the nature which contains antifungal effect. Therefore, garlic is often referred as the best ingredient for fighting infections within the home remedies for bacterial vaginosis treatment.
- Put 3 – 4 cloves of garlic into crushing and then put that mashed garlic onto the infected area for about 20 minutes before washing off using warm water. Practice once every day for couples of month.
- Also you can put a clove of garlic into the gauze and insert that into the vagina for about 30 minutes. Practice once every day for couples of day.
- You might ingest garlic either cooked or raw every day as well. In case you cannot stand the garlic’s smell, there are supplements of garlic in the form of capsules but you will need to have the doctor advised.
8. Tea Tree Oil
The antifungal and antibacterial compounds from tea tree oil are extremely excellent at eliminating germs causing this infection. Furthermore, it can even take care of the foul smell which occasionally appears together with the infection.
- Put some drops of tea tree oil into some warm water and mix. Then use that solution to wash the vaginal area. Practice once every day for 3 – 4 weeks.
- Also you can put 3 drops of tea tree oil together with 3 cups of white vinegar into a tub of warm water. Then soak your body in there for about 30 minutes. Practice every day for 1 – 2 months if needed.
This ingredient is considered the most popular that almost every one would suggest from the most effective home remedies for bacterial vaginosis treatment. The lactobacillus from yogurt can help you combat against the negative bacteria as well as maintain balance of pH inside the vaginal area.
- Put a cotton pad into yogurt before putting it onto the infected area for about 30 minutes. After that, cleanse off using fresh water. Practice 3 times per day.
- Similarly, you can use the tampon to put into yogurt before inserting into the vagina for 1 – 2 hours. Practice twice every day.
- Also you can ingest 2 cups of plain yogurt every day.
10. Apple Cider Vinegar
The last ingredient from the home remedies for bacterial vaginosis treatment is the mighty apple cider vinegar. With strong acidic nature, apple cider vinegar can improve the acidity in the vaginal area which will inhibit the negative bacteria.
- Put 1 – 2 cups of apple cider vinegar into the tub filled with water.
- Soak in there for at least 20 minutes.
- After that, dry the vaginal area carefully.
- Practice once every day.
More by Jenny Heth