Chai tea is warming to the body and calming to the mind, but this satisfyingly delicious beverage is also healing because of all the nourishing ingredients it contains that have outstanding antioxidant properties. Many people think the only place to get a delicious chai tea is at a local teashop or café, but you can actually make this tea at home using some basic herbs and spices you may already have in your kitchen cabinets.
The ingredients you will need to make chai tea at home are: cinnamon sticks, cardamom seeds, ginger root, whole cloves, fennel seeds and whole black pepper seeds.
You will also need some form of milk such as coconut, rice, almond, cashew, goats or cow’s milk. A sweetener will also be useful for sweetening up the beverage. Some of the best sweeteners to use are granulated sugar, raw honey and agave nectar. If you do not have these ingredients in your kitchen cabinets and refrigerator, the local grocery store will have them for sure.
Making the Chai Tea Properly
To make chai tea ( source) you take six cinnamon sticks, ¼ cup of cardamom seeds, 1 ginger root peeled and grated, ¼ cup of cloves, ½ cup of fennel seeds and 2 tablespoons of black pepper seeds into a large pot with 10 cups of water.
Then, you place a lid on the pot and simmer the herbs and spices together in the pot of water for around 20-minutes on medium heat until a spicy chai tea forms. Next, you add in about a 1/2 of raw honey and 2 cups of milk for making the tea creamy. You can add more or less sweetener and milk to achieve the desired creaminess and sweetness you would prefer your chai tea to have. After, you serve yourself up a cup to drink and sip on it to help quiet the mind and heal the body.
- All the spices and herbs in chai tea ( source) contain antioxidants, which provide the body with medicinal properties that help fight inflammation, digestive issues, respiratory discomforts, poor circulation, high blood pressure and unbalanced blood sugar levels.
- The tea is also outstanding for preventing certain types of cancers and healing ulcers in the stomach and mouth.
- Drinking the tea on a regular basis even helps detoxify the body from poisons substances and waste build up in the colon.
- Many people find this tea useful for relieving nausea and easing vomiting.
- It’s also helpful when it comes to soothing cold and flu symptoms and treating high fevers.
- If your immune system isn’t working the way it should to fight off allergy symptoms or you find yourself getting sick often, chai tea can help boost the immune system and supports it so it works the way it is suppose too.
- Some people even find this tea useful for aiding in natural weight loss, but keep in mind what works for some people may not work for you. Everyone’s body is different and requires different things to help achieve weight loss and maintain health.
With all the health benefits chai tea can provide to the body it is still wise to consider potential side effects too. Some of the herbs and spices in this tea can cause allergic reactions in some people, or even interact with particular medications and health conditions, which is why it is wise to speaking with a doctor to make sure this medicinal beverage is safe and right for you.