Almost everyone knows that onions are very important for health. Onion is a daily must have which helps you stay away from many infections and diseases. If you are sick and you are looking for a quick heal medicine, then onions are your best option.
The pungent odour might keep you away from onions but they are totally worth it. They can be cooked in almost all the recipes and can be consumed very easily. Onions are loaded with many chemicals which keep you away from illness and also make you glow due to its detoxification properties.
Onions are full of protective phytonutrients, vitamins, trace minerals, quercetin (an important flavonoid), chromium, and unique anti-inflammatory nutrients.
- Low in Saturated Fat, Sodium, and Cholesterol.
- High in Vitamin C, Dietary Fiber, Vitamin B6, Folate and Manganese.
- The nutritional value of onions make them ideal for weight loss and maintaining optimum health.
Health Benefits of Onions:
- Early American settlers used wild onions to treat colds, coughs, and asthma, and to repel insects.
- In Chinese medicine, onions have been used to treat angina, coughs, bacterial infections, and breathing problems.
- Onions possess enormous anti-ageing benefits. The antioxidant vitamins A, C and E fight against the damage caused by harmful UV rays as well as prevent free radical damage which is responsible for causing premature ageing of our skin. Onion is one of the richest sources of quercetin, the most powerful antioxidant that can keep your skin wrinkle-free. Vitamins and sulphur, on the other hand, protect your skin, and keep it soft and supple. The anti-ageing qualities of onion can be attributed to the presence of sulphur-rich phytochemicals.
According to the Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research
- WHO recognizes that onions help relieve symptoms such as coughs, congestion & respiratory infections.
- Sugar and onion-juice form a syrup, much used in domestic practice, for cough and other affections of the air-tubes among children.
Green Onion as Alternative Medicine:
- It is mainly used as a traditional medicine for common cold.
- It stimulates the respiratory tract and helps in expelling sputum (phlegm).