With summer upon us, many men and women struggle with bodily imperfections. Cellulite can affect the confidence and even quality of life for men and women alike. Cellulite or adiposis edematosa is a condition that gives skin a dimpled or lumpy appearance. It affects over 90 percent of women due to the types of fat and connective tissue found in the female body. (1)
Cellulite affects over 90 percent of women
Other causes of cellulite include:
- Hormones: Hormones play a role in cellulite development. Estrogen, insulin, noradrenaline, thyroid hormones and prolactin are all associated with cellulite production.
- Genetics: Genes predispose a person to characteristics associated with cellulite.
- Diet: A diet high in fat, carbohydrates, and salt with a deficiency in fiber can result in greater amounts of cellulite.
- Lifestyle: Cellulite is more prevalent in smokers, those who do not exercise and those who stand or sit in one position for long periods of time.
- Clothing: Tight under clothing can result in limited blood flow and contribute to the formation of cellulite.
There are numerous over the counter creams and medical procedures that claim to reduce the appearance of cellulite. If you desire to reduce the appearance of cellulite utilizing natural and inexpensive treatment, consider some of the following suggestions.
Diet, exercise, weight loss and essential oils can help reduce the appearance of cellulite.
- Exercise: Foam rolling and interval train help improve circulation and burn fat. Yoga or stretching can also be beneficial in reducing the appearance of cellulite.(2)
- Weight loss: A healthy diet and exercise results in weight loss, improved nutrition and improved circulation that will help to fight cellulite. Weight loss can decrease the percentage of body fat therefore reducing the appearance of cellulite. Although, weight loss may not completely eliminate cellulite, a reduction in the amount of cellulite can improve self-confidence and increase positive feelings of well-being.(2)
Essential oils increase circulation, build collagen, boost your metabolism, and decrease inflammation associated with cellulite!
Essential oils and massage can help to increase blood flow to and from the affected area, reduce stress, build collagen, increase toxin elimination, boost your metabolism, decrease inflammation and prevent the storage of excess water. Consider the following essential oil therapies: (3)
- Juniper: Juniper contains chemicals that address the three causes of cellulite: inflammation, toxin build up and poor circulation. Juniper oil can also help decrease inflammation, increase urination and increase blood flow. It is a good source of calcium, potassium, and zinc which have been found to help break up cellulite fat. (3)
- Fennel: Fennel is a powerful detoxing agent that can help remove toxins through your intestines or pull them toward your skin. It is also believed to increase estrogen which will boost the production of collagen under the skin.(3)
- Citrus: Citrus oils are abundant in vitamin C and can help build collagen and strengthen the connective tissue under the skin and improve circulation.(3)
- Rosemary: Rosemary oil can help remove toxins and improve blood circulation.(3)
- Clary sage: Clary sage oil is believed to help balance your hormone, combat stress, improve feelings of relaxation, reduce inflammation and give your skin a smoother and softer feel. (3)
- Cypress: Cypress oil improves blood circulation, increases the excretion of toxins, removes excess water, and promotes relaxation. (3)
- Geranium: This oil has been found to help balance hormones and improve skin tone.(3)
- Cinnamon bark: Cinnamon bark oil reinforces connective tissue, helps build collagen, tighten skin, increase circulation, and removes impurities from the body. (3)
- Peppermint oil: Peppermint oil helps boost the metabolism and increase blood circulation. (3)
If cellulite has impacted your lifestyle or feelings of wellbeing, consider a healthy diet and exercise in combination with essential oils. Remember, 90 percent of women have cellulite, don’t let yours keep you from loving yourself.