What is Yeast Infection?
Yeast, or scientifically called Candida, is a fungus found in almost everywhere. In the body, yeast is kept under control so that it cannot cause any harm to your health. However, as soon as you get sick or any other health problems, yeast will develop rapidly, leading to an infection.
Yeast infection can happen in any parts of your body, especially skin, bloodstream, vagina, throat and mouth.
Symptoms of Yeast Infection
The obvious symptoms of yeast infection are itchiness, swelling, burning sensation both inside and outside the affected areas.
If you are suffering from vaginal yeast infection, pain and discomforts during intercourse and urination are inevitable.
Here are top 10 excellent home remedies for yeast infection that can help you quickly get rid of the problem without any intervention of medication.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a wholesome ingredient with strong antibacterial and anti-inflammatory. By using apple cider vinegar, you are inhibiting the development of yeast and easing the symptoms.
- Dissolve 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in some warm water. Drink the solution several times a day until the condition improves.
- Add some apple cider vinegar to your warm bathtub. Soak your body in there for 30 minutes to 1 hour. This will help reduce the itchiness and irritation significantly.
- Alternatively, simply use the solution of apple cider vinegar and water to apply to the affected area. Wait for 30 minutes before rinsing off.
Calendula is another choice for you in natural treatments of yeast infection. The ingredient not only inhibits the development of yeast but also accelerate the healing in the area.
- Crush some calendula leaves and apply to the affected skin. Do this several times a day to quickly reduce the symptoms.
- If you are not in pregnancy, make calendula tea to consume everyday.
3. Coconut Oil
The strong antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antifungal properties are the keys helping coconut oil gain a spot in our list of home remedies for yeast infection.
- Directly apply coconut oil to the affected skin. After 20-30 minutes, wash off the area. Do this several times a day to reduce the symptoms.
- For better effects, mix some coconut oil and cinnamon oil together and apply to the affect area.
- In case of oral thrush, use coconut oil to swish your mouth. Remember not to swallow the oil.
Yogurt is a good source of good bacteria called lactobacillus acidophilus that can suppress the growth of Candida in your body. Accordingly, you shouldn’t miss this ingredient in home remedies for yeast infection.
- Use plain, unsweetened yogurt to apply to the affected skin. Leave it there for at least 20 minutes or even overnight. This will provide you a quick relief from the itchiness.
- If you are suffering from vaginal infection, use a tampon dipped into plain yogurt and insert it into your vagina. Do this before bed and leave it overnight. In the next morning, remove the tampon and rinse off the area.
- Simultaneously, eat 2-3 servings of yogurt everyday to enhance your immunity.
When it comes to yeast and bacteria, do remember garlic, a powerful ingredient with antibiotic, antifungal and antibacterial properties. To be more specific, these strong properties of garlic have the capacity of eliminating yeast and reduce the symptoms.
- Crush some garlic cloves to make a paste. Apply it directly to the affected area. This will cause you a mild burning sensation but it will be gone soon, so be patient.
- Alternatively, you can use vitamin E oil and coconut oil together to apply to the affected area.
- Also, consume more garlic in your daily diet or take garlic supplement after consulting a doctor.
Contain antibacterial, antifungal and anti-inflammatory, goldenseal deserves a place on our list of home remedies for yeast infection. Aside from the ability to cease the growth of harmful yeast, the herb can detoxify the liver and boost your immunity. However, do not use goldenseal if you are in pregnancy or breastfeeding. If you are not, remember to take it in moderation since excessive consumption can cause adverse effects.
7. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil will never let you down if you are looking for a quick and effective ingredient used in home remedies for yeast infection. The oil offers you a wide range of valuable qualities such as antifungal, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory properties, which can immediately suppress the growth of yeast.
- Mix some drops of tea tree oil with a few drops of other essential oil such as olive oil, almond oil or coconut oil. Use the mixture to apply the affected area. Do this a few times a day.
- In case of vaginal infection, put a few drops of tea tree oil in a tampon and insert it into your vagina. Leave it overnight or a couple of hours then remove. Finally, rinse off with water.
8. Oregano Oil
After tea tree oil, let’s take a look at oregano oil, a useful ingredient that can treat yeast infection with its excellent antifungal property. This is another choice on the list of home remedies for yeast infection you shouldn’t underestimate.
- Warm up some oregano oil and apply it to your affected area. However, remember to test it in a small area of your skin to see if it causes irritation or not. If it does, dilute it with some essential oils such as coconut oil, olive oil, etc.
- Also, you can take oregano supplements after consulting a doctor.
Cranberries have been used long used as a traditional home remedy for yeast infection, especially urinary tract and vaginal infection. Therefore, it would be a wise choice to use cranberries in this case.
- Simply consume cranberry juice with no sweetener.
- You can take cranberry supplements after consulting a doctor.
If you already have basil in your house, make use of it. The herb is considered as an excellent home remedy for yeast infection that can release you from pain and irritation.
- Grind some basil and put into boiling water.
- Let it steep for some minutes then strain.
- Use the liquid to swish your mouth or apply to the affected areas.
More by Jenny Heth
- How to Get Rid of Hickeys – Top 10 Useful Tips
- How to Get Rid of Razor Burn – 10 Natural Handy Tips
- How to Get Rid of a Black Eye
- How to Get Rid of Puffy Eyes – Top 10 Handy Tips
- How to Get Rid of Double Chin – Top Pocket-friendly Treatments
- Home Remedies for Swollen Feet – Top 10 Handy Tips
- How to Grow Hair Faster – 10 Natural Treatments
- Home Remedies for Hair Loss – 15 Natural Treatments
- How to Get Water Out of Your Ear – Top 10 Effective Tips
- Home Remedies for Runny Nose – Top 10 Natural Treatments
- Home Remedies for Dry Hair – Top 15 Effective Treatments
- Home Remedies for Psoriasis – Top 14 Simple Treatments
- Home Remedies for Alopecia