As soon as you find the mucus in your sinus and nasal passage becomes excessive, you know it is when you get runny nose, an extremely common problem for most of people in the world. This abnormal production of mucus is seen as a sign if the immune response when the body gets virus, cold or allergens and irritant.
Causes of Runny Nose
There are various factors that can lead to your condition of runny nose, including common cold, allergic reaction, and sinus infection, etc.
Although runny nose doesn’t not appear as a serious threat to your health, it possibly leads to other health problems like earaches, coughing, sore throat and so on.
Luckily, you can complete deal with the condition by only using simple and natural ingredients around your house and kitchen.
Here are top 10 powerful home remedies for runny nose that you can prepare yourself for its occurrence…
The simplest method on the list of home remedies for runny nose is steam. With the ability to eliminate the excessive mucus, steam can help you with the problem of sneezing and runny nose.
- Prepare a bowl of hot water
- Move your face over the bowl and cover your head with a towel.
- Stay there to inhale the steam for 10 minutes then blow your nose.
- Do this 3-4 times a day or any time you find it needed.
- For better effect, you can add into the water a few drops of eucalyptus oil or menthol.
2. Salt Water
By reducing the irritation in nasal passage, salt water becomes one of the most effective home remedies for runny nose you should try. This liquid is not only simple but also effective in thinning out the mucus, making it easier to expel.
- Add ½ teaspoon of salt into a cup of warm water.
- Till your head back, put some drops of the liquid into your nostrils.
- Gently inhale to make the solution go deeper into the nasal passages.
- Blow your nose to eliminate the excessive solution and mucus.
- Repeat the movements until you get relief.
- Do this a few times per day or any time you find it needed.
3. Eucalyptus Oil
If you are looking for an ingredient that can help get rid of runny nose without any side effects, consider eucalyptus oil. Working as a decongestant, the oil will not let you down in the fight against this nasal problem.
- Add 7 drops of eucalyptus oil and 4 drops of each lavender and peppermint oil into a bowl of boiling water. Inhale the steam of the solution. Do this 2-3 times daily to improve the condition quickly.
- Put some oil into your handkerchief and inhale the aroma from it.
4. Mustard Oil
Mustard oil contains antiviral, antihistamine and antibiotic properties, which makes it a perfect ingredient to make home remedies for runny nose.
- Warm up some mustard oil. Add 1-2 drops of the oil into your nostrils to clear the nasal passage. Do this 2-3 times daily until the condition improves.
- Alternatively, add 2-3 tablespoons of mustard oil along with 1 tablespoon of caraway seeds into a bowl of hot water. Make use of the steam to inhale then your symptoms of runny nose will quickly disappear.
Being loaded with vitamin C, lemon is an ideal citrus fruit that can boost your immunity to fight against common cold, sore throat and especially runny nose. Therefore, you should never skip this ingredient in the list of home remedies for runny nose.
Add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice into a cup of warm water. Use this solution to consume 2-3 times daily until the symptoms of runny nose completely disappear. You can also add some honey to improve the taste.
The strong antibacterial and antiseptic properties in garlic help it gain a spot in the list of home remedies for runny nose.
- Chop some garlic cloves and put them into boiling water. Strain the solution after letting it steep for some minutes. Add into it some sugar then consume twice daily until you see improvements.
- Simply chew on some small raw garlic pieces during the day or add it into other daily meals.
Turmeric is famous for not only its use in culinary but also for its chemical qualities, including antiviral, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial properties. Accordingly, the ingredient can be really helpful in the treatments of runny nose.
- Add ½ teaspoon of grounded turmeric into 1 tablespoon of linseed oil. Warm the mixture up until you see the smoke. Breathe in the smoke with one of your nostrils at a time. Do this twice daily for the best result.
- Alternatively, consume the milk added with a teaspoon of turmeric powder every night before bed.
If you are wondering how to get rid of runny nose fast, try ginger. This is an amazing ingredient with antitoxic, antioxidant and antifungal properties, which can give you a quick relief from runny nose.
- Put a little of salt onto some pieces of fresh ginger. Chew them on during the day.
- Make a cup of tea from ginger by adding some ginger slices into a cup of boiling water. After waiting for a few minutes, strain and add a little honey to improve the taste. Consume the tea 3-4 times a day.
According to experts, honey is found with antibacterial, antiviral properties, which means it is able to assist the treatments of runny nose.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of honey, ½ tablespoons of lemon juice and some cinnamon powder together. Consume the mixture twice daily.
- Add 2 tablespoons of honey into a cup of warm water and consume the solution twice daily.
What makes basil so special and effective in treating runny nose is its powerful antifungal, antiviral and antibacterial properties.
- Eat 3-4 basil leaves twice a day, in breakfast and before bed.
- Alternatively, add 8-10 basil lives along with 5 cloves into boiling water. Let it steep for 10 minutes before straining and adding sugar for consume. Do this twice daily and you will soon see its amazing effect.
More by Jenny Heth
- Home Remedies for Diabetes – Top Natural Effective Treatments
- Home Remedies for Dry Hair – Top 15 Effective Treatments
- Home Remedies for Psoriasis – Top 14 Simple Treatments
- Home Remedies for Alopecia
- Top 10 Natural Home Remedies for Ingrown Toenail
- Top 10 Natural Home Remedies for Vaginal Odor
- Top 10 Home Remedies for Staph Infection
- Top 15 Natural Home Remedies for Boils
- Top 15 Natural Home Remedies for Asthma