Headache is one of the most common forms of pain that affect about 12 percent of the population in the US. The pain can be moderate or severe, depending on the causes and your health condition. Additionally, it is often accompanied with sensitivity to sound and light, nausea and vomiting. In some cases, headache can even get much worse and cause eye pain, blurred vision, dizziness, weakness and tingling.
There are some common factors that can trigger a headache including stress, anxiety, dehydration, sleep deficiency, hormonal changes or exposure to light for a long period of time and so on.
Sometimes, headache is caused by certain foods such as chocolate, food with tyramine like figs, smoked fish, red wine, foods with monosodium glutamate, dairy food, etc.
Although headache is not a serious disease that tends to last for a long time, it still causes you so much trouble and discomfort. As a result, you’d better treat it immediately to avoid any bad consequences.
Here are top 10 home remedies for headache that you can easily apply at home to quickly combat the pain and relax.
As soon as you notice the sign of headache, relax and try temple massage. This is a traditional and simple way in home remedies for headache that has been used since ancient time to relieve the pain. However, not all of people know how to do it in right way to reduce the painfulness.
- Place your fingers on the temples.
- Gently press and move in circular motion.
- Move your fingers up along the hairline until they meet each other at the center of your forehead.
- Repeat the movements in about 15-20 minutes or until you feel better.
Lemon is a good solution in case of headache. The fruit has an ability to relax and soothe the mind and body, which in turn restores the balance and strength. Furthermore, lemon can work as excellent natural detoxifying food, which removes waste, toxins and harmful substance out of the body.
- Squeeze the juice from 1-2 lemons.
- Dissolve the juice in a cup of warm water.
- Add some honey and drink the solution a few times a day.
Peppermint is an incredible herb that contains methol and methone, two organic compounds used as analgesics. More specifically, these valuable substances can reduce minor pains and aches, especially headache. Furthermore, the aroma from peppermint is able to effectively reduce nausea and vomiting. You can use it both externally and internally.
- You can choose either peppermint tea or mint juice to consume. The liquids will instantly help you relieve the pain and discomforts.
- Use peppermint teabags to place on your forehead and temples. After a few minutes, remove and massage your head.
- Also, you can use peppermint oil to massage your temples, neck and back to relieve the headaches.
If you are looking for a natural and simple treatment of headache, try basil, an herb with excellent properties that can ease the pain and relax brain muscles. The herb is really easy to find and prepare for home remedies for headache.
- Put some drops of basil oil in a bowl of boiling water. Inhale the steam from the bowl for some minutes.
- You can also use the oil from basil to massage your head and neck to ease the pain.
- Alternatively, put some basil leaves in a cup of hot water. Let it steep for some minutes. Strain and consume the tea.
Ginger contains anti-inflammatory and soothing properties, which makes it a perfect ingredient used in home remedies for headache. Besides consuming ginger, you can make use of its smell as an aromatherapy to calm your nerve.
- Cut a ginger into slices and place them under the sunlight for 2-3 days. Put them in a cup of hot water to make ginger tea. Add a little honey to improve the taste. Consume the liquid 2-3 times a day or whenever you feel the pain. You can also use fresh ginger to make the remedy.
- At the same time, put some drops of ginger oil in a handkerchief and keep it with you to inhale the aroma. This will effectively relax your mind and reduce headache.
Honey, a versatile ingredient used in various treatments for health and beauty problems. In case of home remedies for headache, honey works actively to reduce the inflammation and ease the pain just in a short period of time.
- Dissolve 2 teaspoons of honey in a cup of hot water.
- Mix them well and consume the solution several times a day.
- Milk is another good choice to mix with honey.
7. Cold Compress
It has been confirmed that the coldness can quickly and temporarily reduce the pain and ache. The trick is quite simple and easy to do. Therefore, you should skip this tip on the list of home remedies for headache.
- Wrap some ice cubes in a clean towel to make an ice bag
- Use the ice bag to apply to your forehead, neck and back.
- Alternatively, you can simply dip the towel in cold water. After wringing out excess water, follow the same steps as above.
Rosemary is another ingredient used in home remedies for headache. The herb possesses a powerful anti-inflammatory property that can quickly stave off the inflammation and ease the pain.
- Add some dried rosemary leaves in a cup of hot water.
- Leave it for some minutes before straining the liquid.
- Finally, add a little honey and consume the tea.
9. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil has been well known as a great treatment for insomnia or sleep deficiency. This is due to its herbal qualities that can reduce stress, anxiety and relax the brain muscle. Similarly, you can totally use the oil to make home remedies for headache.
- Add some drops of lavender oil in your warm bathtub.
- Soak your body in there for some minutes.
- Relax and see the improvement.
Clove is beneficial for your condition of headache. By soothing the nerve and relaxing your body, clove quickly ward off the pain and other discomforts. One more reason that you should try clove it that it can work remarkably both alone and with other ingredients.
- Mix a few drops of clove oil with 2 teaspoons of coconut oil or olive oil and 1 teaspoon of sea salt. Use the mixture to massage the temples until the pain goes away.
- Put some ground cloves in a cup of boiling water. After 20 minutes, strain the tea and consume it.
More by Jenny Heth
- Home Remedies for Sore Throat – 10 Useful Tips
- How to Get Rid of Razor Burn – 10 Natural Handy Tips
- Home Remedies for Psoriasis – Top 14 Simple Treatments
- How to Get Rid of Puffy Eyes – Top 10 Handy Tips
- How to Get Rid of Double Chin – Top Pocket-friendly Treatments
- Home Remedies for Swollen Feet – Top 10 Handy Tips
- How to Grow Hair Faster – 10 Natural Treatments
- Home Remedies for Hair Loss – 15 Natural Treatments
- How to Get Water Out of Your Ear – Top 10 Effective Tips
- Home Remedies for Runny Nose – Top 10 Natural Treatments
- Home Remedies for Dry Hair – Top 15 Effective Treatments
- How to Get Rid of a Black Eye