Undeniably, most of us get cough at least one in our lifetime. Coughing is not exactly a serious disease but a common health problem that can make you tired and painful.
Normally, you will experience cough when encountering a cold, nasal problems like congestion or runny nose. According to experts, cough might be a result of viral infection, flu, common cold, lung problems asthma, smoking and other health problems.
Nowadays, there are lots of medicines that are produced to help you get rid of cough. However, not many people prefer this way since the chemicals can cause adverse effects even before they can treat the problem. As a result, patients tend to find alternatives in effective treatments of cough using simple, natural ingredients.
Here are top 10 excellent home remedies for cough that are easily applied at home and quickly eliminate the problem…
Honey is an aged-old home remedy for cough that can effectively relieve symptoms. This is due to the powerful antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and soothing properties of the ingredient.
- Add 1-2 teaspoons of honey into a cup of herbal tea like chamomile tea, green tea, etc. Drink the solution several times a day to quickly ease the cough.
- You can also mix honey with lemon juice or simply warm water instead of herbal tea if you wish.
Turmeric has been confirmed to have high anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antiviral qualities that can help you overcome the cough. Specifically, curcumin, an active agent in turmeric plays an important role in stimulating immunity and reducing the symptoms. This is the reason why turmeric should be on our list of home remedies for cough.
- Mix turmeric powder and carom seeds in the same amount. Add the mixture in water and boil it until there is only half of it remaining. You can choose consume it directly or mix it with a little honey several times a day to quickly improve the condition.
- Alternatively, simply add some turmeric powder into a cup of warm milk. Drink it 2-3 times a day for the best result.
If you are wondering how to get rid of cough, try ginger, an ingredient that has much more benefits than just a spice in our kitchen. Generally, ginger acts as a natural analgesic that actively reduce your discomfort. In detail, ginger is beneficial for your respiratory system as it helps cleanse and remove waste and harmful factors out of the system.
- Chew some raw ginger slices or use ginger oil to massage your chest and neck.
- Another option is adding some ginger powder to water and boil it. After that consume the solution after it is cooled off.
When it comes to symptoms of cough, never forget garlic, one of the best home remedies for cough. When you are using garlic, you are taking advantages of allicin, an essential substance in garlic that contains antibacterial, antimicrobial and antiviral properties. As a result, the treatment of cough helps enhance the immunity and prevent infection.
- Simply chew some raw garlic cloves or add them into your daily diet.
- Alternatively, put some garlic cloves in water and boil them along with a teaspoon of oregano. Finally, add some honey to improve the flavor and enjoy the tea.
5. Carrot Juice
If you are not a fan of spices or one of those things, it is totally fine. Do not push yourself too much since there are still many other ingredients for you to make home remedies for cough, including carrot. According to research, this vegetable is a rich source of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients used to improve our immune system and fight back symptoms of cough. Furthermore, carrot juice has a good taste and is easy to consume, which makes it a favorite remedy, even with children with cough.
All you need to do is consuming carrot juice several times a day until the condition improves.
You must have heard of an immense source of vitamin C in lemon, a common citrus fruit. Being packed in a normal fruit, vitamin C provides numerous benefits for human health, especially improving immunity, combatting inflammation and infection. Consequently, it would be a mistake if you leave lemons out of the list of home remedies for cough.
- Mix lemon juice and honey in the ratio of 2:1.
- Consume the mixture at least 2 times a day for the best effect.
- To enhance the effect, add into it a little bit cayenne pepper.
Grape is another fruit you would definitely love to use in home remedies for cough. Not only does it possess good taste, but it also instantly and effectively cleanse your respiratory system and remove the mucus. As a result, symptoms of cough will soon reduce and no longer bother you.
Having grape or grape juice every day is a good idea to deal with the condition.
Nothing is better than a cup of warm milk for those who are sick and suffering from cough. Besides giving you energy and reducing fatigue, milk can ease the pain and sooth the throat.
- Consuming at least 2 cups of warm milk in the morning and before bed.
- For better effect, mix it with 1 tablespoon of honey.
If you are suffering from continuous coughing, chest pain and sore throat are inevitable. In this case, cayenne is one of the most powerful treatments of cough that you need. Specifically, the ability of cayenne to warm up the body and stimulating blood circulation helps reduce the pain and enhance immunity.
- Mix ¼ cayenne with ¼ tablespoon of honey, ¼ teaspoon of ground ginger, 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and some water together.
- Consume the solution at least 2-3 times a day.
The last ingredient on our list of home remedies for cough is almond. Being the last doesn’t make almonds less effective than others. In fact, almonds are reckoned as one of the healthiest foods in the world that help improve people’s health and prevent diseases.
- Soak some almonds in water overnight or at least for a couple of hours.
- Take them out and grind to make a smooth paste.
- Add into it one teaspoon of butter.
- Consume the mixture several times a day to sooth your throat.
More by Jenny Heth
- How to Get Rid of Hickeys – Top 10 Useful Tips
- How to Get Rid of Razor Burn – 10 Natural Handy Tips
- How to Get Rid of a Black Eye
- How to Get Rid of Puffy Eyes – Top 10 Handy Tips
- How to Get Rid of Double Chin – Top Pocket-friendly Treatments
- Home Remedies for Swollen Feet – Top 10 Handy Tips
- How to Grow Hair Faster – 10 Natural Treatments
- Home Remedies for Hair Loss – 15 Natural Treatments
- How to Get Water Out of Your Ear – Top 10 Effective Tips
- Home Remedies for Runny Nose – Top 10 Natural Treatments
- Home Remedies for Dry Hair – Top 15 Effective Treatments
- Home Remedies for Psoriasis – Top 14 Simple Treatments
- Home Remedies for Alopecia