Cold sore is a common disease belonging to type 1 of a contagious virus known as herpes simplex virus (HSV). This disease along with oral herpes has affected more than half of the U.S. population by the early 2000s.
Symptoms of Cold Sores
While some people show no symptoms of cold sores, some have to suffer from pain and irritation outside of their mouth or around the lips. Specifically, there will be an appearance of small blisters, swelling and redness. Besides, you also have to experience pain or itchiness. When occurring inside the mouth, cold sores often affect the gums and the roof of the mouth.
Normally, these symptoms will disappear after 7-10 days without any intervention of treatments.
Causes of Cold Sores
As mentioned, cold sores are contagious, so it can easily spread from person to person through physical contact or personal item sharing. Even though the symptoms of a patient are alleviated, the risk of transmitting the virus is still high.
Although there is no exact cure for cold sores, you still can alleviate the condition and accelerate healing process by using antiviral medicines or simple natural ingredients that are always available around you.
Here are top 10 amazing home remedies for cold sores that will amaze you with their ability in eliminating virus and speeding up healing…
As soon as you notice symptoms of cold sores, you should make use of licorice root in home remedies for cold sores to quickly deal with the condition. The ingredient is rich in natural component-glycyrrhizin acid that possesses anti-inflammatory, antifungal and antiviral properties.
- You can choose making solution from either licorice powder and water or licorice powder and petroleum jelly.
- Apply the solution to the affected area and cover it.
- Leave it overnight or a couple of hours.
- In the next morning, wash off with clean water.
2. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil is believed to contain necessary nutrients including antiviral and anti-inflammatory qualities that we need for home remedies for cold sores.
- Rinse off thoroughly the affected area and let it dry naturally.
- Use a cotton swab to apply peppermint oil to the cold sores and wait for some minutes.
- You can also mix peppermint oil with some carrier oil such as coconut oil or olive oil.
3. Aloe Vera
When it comes to skin problems, you should try Aloe Vera first, a worthwhile ingredient used for various natural treatments, including home remedies for cold sores. This is thanks to the ability to fight against bacteria and reduce inflammation of the plant.
- Get the inner gel from an Aloe Vera leaf.
- Use a cotton swab to apply the gel to affected skin.
- After 15-20 minutes, rinse off with water.
Ice is a common method used to reduce swelling, redness and inflammation. Similarly, we can make use of this coldness to make home remedies for cold sores.
- Wrap some ice cubes with a clean cloth or towel.
- Apply the ice bag to the affected area and hold for a few second.
- Remove the bag and repeat the movements several times in 10 minutes.
Milk has been found with immunoglobulin, which makes it an excellent ingredient used to combat virus and increase immunity. Into the bargain, the liquid also has I-lysine component that can accelerate healing. Accordingly, milk gains itself a spot on the list of home remedies for cold sores.
- Use a cotton swab and dip it in milk.
- Apply the swab to the affected area and hold it for a few minutes.
- Finally, rinse off the area.
Another ingredient you can count on is Echinacea, a herb that can not only combat symptoms of cold sore but also promote immune system and improve overall health.
- Dip an Echinacea bag into a cup of hot water.
- After several minutes, strain the liquid and consume the tea.
- Do this daily until the condition disappears.
7. Petroleum Jelly
Petroleum jelly is beneficial for your skin as it not only eliminates bacteria and virus but also moisturizes the skin and keeps it smooth and healthy. The effect will be enhanced if you use petroleum jelly after applying the coldness.
- After using ice to apply the affected skin, gentle rub a little jelly on the area.
- Wait for several minutes then rinse off with clean water.
8. Witch Hazel
Witch hazel has been long used as a tradition ingredient in age-old remedies for health and beauty. In case of home remedies for cold sores, witch hazel provides you anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties to combat the symptoms of conditions.
- Use a cotton pad and dip in witch hazel extract.
- Apply it to the affected area and leave for some minutes.
- Since witch hazel extract might cause irritation to sensitive skin, you should try it on a small area of your skin first.
9. Vitamin E and C
Asides from the need for body function, vitamin E and C are extremely good for your skin, which can ease the pain, irritation and other symptoms of cold sores. Additionally, the vitamins can significantly speed up healing and strengthen he skin.
- Consume more foods that are rich in vitamin E and C such as nuts, grains, avocado, citrus fruits, etc.
- Also, use vitamin E to apply to the affected area to quickly eliminate the problems.
10. Keep Your Lips Clean
It is extremely important to keep your lips clean, especially when you are suffering from cold sores. First thing you should remember is cleanse your lips and surrounding area after eating something or after going out. Also, avoid using cosmetics while apply treatments since it might make the condition worse.
Do not touch your face and lips unless you are applying home remedies for cold sores.
One more thing to remember, cover your lips and affected areas when going out and do not forget to wear sunscreen.
More by Jenny Heth
- Home Remedies for Bacterial Vaginosis – Top 10 Effective Treatments
- How to Stop Bleeding – Top 10 Simple Effective Tips
- Home Remedies for Headache – Top 10 Handy Tips
- Home Remedies for Sore Throat – 10 Useful Tips
- How to Get Rid of Razor Burn – 10 Natural Handy Tips
- Home Remedies for Psoriasis – Top 14 Simple Treatments
- How to Get Rid of Puffy Eyes – Top 10 Handy Tips
- How to Get Rid of Double Chin – Top Pocket-friendly Treatments
- Home Remedies for Swollen Feet – Top 10 Handy Tips
- How to Grow Hair Faster – 10 Natural Treatments
- Home Remedies for Hair Loss – 15 Natural Treatments
- How to Get Water Out of Your Ear – Top 10 Effective Tips
- Home Remedies for Runny Nose – Top 10 Natural Treatments