Undeniably, cavities are no longer strange to us since this is one of the most common dental problems among people, especially children. We often call it a cavity while our dentists call it dental caries or tooth decay. Do not underestimate the seriousness of cavities since the pain they cause can be unbearable. When the condition gets worse, they possibly lead to other health problems like headache.
Causes of Cavities
Basically, the main cause of cavities is plaque in your mouth, which is made up of germs and bacteria. First, a cavity affects the outer layer of the tooth before getting inside it and harming the nerves so it will lead to an abscess or a toothache.
Poor hygiene and eating habit should be blame for the accumulation and development of germs and bacteria. Besides, genetic factor is also another cause of cavities.
The simplest and most effective solution for this problem is having a dentist take care your teeth. However, if your cavities are still mild and haven’t affected severely the nerves yet, you can save your own money and time by using simple natural ingredient to make home remedies for cavities.
Here is the list of the 10 best home remedies for cavities that you should take a look before deciding to go to dentists…
Without a doubt, salt has been long used to treat many diseases caused by bacteria and germs thanks to its excellent antibacterial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. In this case, it makes a perfect idea for home remedies for cavities.
- Add a teaspoon of salt into a cup of warm water.
- Mix it well and use the solution to gargle in 1 minute.
- Do this several times a day to quickly reduce the pain as well as swelling.
Turmeric is a rich source of powerful substances that contain excellent antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. This is the reason to give it a spot in the list of home remedies for cavities.
By applying turmeric to treat your dental problem, you will quickly reduce the pain and other discomforts.
- Directly rub the turmeric powder on the affected teeth and gum. Leave it for some minutes then rinse off by gargling some water.
- Alternatively, mix a tablespoon of turmeric powder with a tablespoon of mustard oil. Use it to rinse your mouth daily.
Chewing gum is a simple treatment of cavities that is chosen by many people. Aside from dealing with cavities, chewing gum also helps you get rid of onion breath and some of other dental problems. This is due to the ability to reach many places in your mouth, where is other hygiene tools cannot reach.
According to research from the Yonsei University in Korea, nutmeg contains a special property that helps a lot in the treatments of cavities, which is called anticariogenic.
- Grind some nutmeg to get the powder form.
- Mix it with some drops of clove oil to make a paste.
- Apply the paste on the affected teeth.
- Leave it for 10 minutes before rinsing off with warm water.
According to experts, garlic possesses strong antibacterial and anti-inflammatory qualities, which makes it an inevitable ingredient on the list of home remedies for cavities.
- If you can bear the smell and taste of raw garlic, use some cloves to chew in your mouth.
- If not, use garlic oil to rub on the teeth for a quick relief.
6. Green Tea
Green tea has been well known for an array of benefits it provides people, including heart health, weight loss, anti aging, etc. However, not many people are aware of another less popular benefit of green tea, which is the ability to get rid of cavities.
With 2-3 cups of green tea daily, you can successfully refrain the growth of bacteria in your mouth, gradually eradicating the symptoms of cavities. Besides, this amount of green tea also helps to boost your immunity and strengthen your overall health as well as prevent various diseases.
Do not skip this ingredient on the list of home remedies for cavities, otherwise you will regret. Not only do cloves inhibit the inflammation and bacterial growth but they also work as an analgesic agent. Accordingly, with the assistance of cloves, you can instantly eliminate the pain and other annoying symptoms.
- Add 2-3 drops of clove oil into ¼ tablespoon of sesame oil.
- Use a cotton ball into the mixture then apply it on the affected teeth.
- Do this before bed in a few days.
Being rich in fiber, cabbage is beneficial for the treatments of cavities. You can choose either adding more cabbage in your daily diet or making juice from this vegetable to consume daily or even both of two ways. By applying this remedy, you are helping yourself to improve dental health so your teeth and gum will be stronger.
When it comes to dental health, lemon will never let you down thanks to its strong antibacterial and antiseptic properties. Besides, this fruit is also a perfect treatment for onion breath and other dental problems.
As soon as you put a thin slice of lemon on the area of affected teeth, your pain and discomforts will instantly go away.
Another ingredient you can use to make home remedies for cavities is wheatgrass, which is loaded of antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Additionally, the ingredient also provides lots of nutrients like calcium and vitamin A that are essential to improve you teeth and gum health.
More by Jenny Heth
- Home Remedies for Runny Nose – Top 10 Natural Treatments
- Home Remedies for Dry Hair – Top 15 Effective Treatments
- Home Remedies for Psoriasis – Top 14 Simple Treatments
- Home Remedies for Alopecia
- Top 10 Natural Home Remedies for Ingrown Toenail
- Top 10 Natural Home Remedies for Vaginal Odor
- Top 10 Home Remedies for Staph Infection
- Top 15 Natural Home Remedies for Boils
- Top 15 Natural Home Remedies for Asthma