Eggs are one of the most common allergic reactions for individuals today. The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America says egg proteins cause mild to severe allergy reactions from skin irritations and hives to severe breathing and abdominal pains.
The cause is from an immune system reaction from protein, ovalalbumin and ovomucoid, contained in the egg white itself.
Allergy myths about eggs:
- Yolk is OK to eat. This is only half true, yes the egg white is rich in protein and the yolk is good- fat rich. But all egg yolk has some egg white contaminant.
- Duck eggs are OK. Wrong! Any eggs have the same proteins! Duck, goose, or quail can have the same protein
- The allergy is due to the feed the chickens eat. Not true. Studies have found that there is no bearing on what the chicken is feed as to the allergies in the egg.
- You can rub raw egg on your skin to check for allergies. Yes, your skin may react, but this is not a reputable test to gauge an allergy reaction. Ingesting an egg causes different reactions than the skin, which is more sensitive.
- Homeopathic formulas can help. Yes, depending on your symptoms, causes and sensations. There are several homeopathic remedies that can be selected per individual that can help decrease egg allergic reaction.Taking homeopathic blends can help those with egg allergies to become more tolerable and have less side effects.
Depending on which scientist you talk to and what you read, some feel these allergies will be outgrown, for children, up to 70%, by sixteen years old. Adults may not have that capability. Other allergy specialist, say that a few people’s immune systems just learn to tolerate the eggs!
Be careful what you eat. Eggs or egg proteins, the egg white, are commonly added to many processed and baked goods.
Some individuals are ok with eggs that are heated for prolonged periods at high temperatures like in bread or baked goodies.
Food Allergy Research and Education
Cindy Burrows, B.S., M.T., Herbalist, is a Natural Health Consultant helping individuals start health programs to improve their life, wellness and happiness. Cindy is a speaker, writer and entrepreneur of several businesses. Contact her at [email protected]