Chemotherapy is the most common treatment for cancer. While it may be effective, those who underwent the procedure went home with little to no information about what life will be after it. Only a few are aware of how they can efficiently recover from the side effects of the procedure.
These side-effects include:
- Feeling of constant sickness
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Hair loss or thinning
- Mouth ulcers
- Sore mouth
- Changes in the sense of taste
- Pins and needles affecting the hands and feet
- Shortness of breath
- Changes in your skin
- Changes in your sense of hearing
- Loss of appetite
Fortunately, there are ways to fight these side-effects and ensure a faster chemotherapy recovery.
Importance of Detoxification
You can reverse most of the damaging effects of chemo drugs and radiation through detoxification. Here’s how to take advantage of detoxification to speed up chemotherapy recovery:
- Juicing – After a chemotherapy treatment, your body will find it hard to digest food. Juicing can help as it lets your body get enough nutrients despite your digestive problems. Go for organic fruits and vegetables when juicing. They can heal and rejuvenate the body and remove toxins. Fresh fruit and vegetable juices also serve as cleansers, regenerators, energizers, and blood builders. Kale, beet, apple, ginger, cucumber, pineapple, carrot, and spinach are great options because aside from being excellent detoxifiers, they are also rich in anti-inflammation and anti-cancer properties. Raspberries, strawberries, and blueberries are also ideal for juicing. Rich in antioxidants, they can cleanse your blood from impurities.
- Water and Herbal Tea – If you are planning to detox your body naturally after chemo, then water and herbal tea can help. Drink filtered water as it’s free from pesticides, herbicides, and other toxic substances. Drink enough water every day so you can flush out all toxins that your body accumulated. Adding a slice of lemon into it can improve its flavor while increasing its antioxidant and cleansing properties. You can also seek the aid of herbal teas as these help in the cleansing process. A great option is dandelion tea, a liver tonic, which is useful in detoxification.
- Liver detox – Chemo treatment is toxic, so cleansing your body with the remaining harmful chemicals is necessary. Your liver also receives the most pressure during the procedure, so there is a need to fix any damage caused by chemo drugs. You need to avoid sugar, junk foods with extremely high sodium content, alcohol, and red meat to restore the health of your liver. Start including foods that can cleanse your liver including garlic, leafy greens, carrots, beets, grapefruit, lemons and limes, walnuts, turmeric, and cabbage. All these can help cleanse your liver.
Other Ways to Recover from Chemotherapy
- Let your blood circulate – Do activities that can get your blood circulating and heart pumping for a few minutes every day. These can flush toxins from your body. Some options are cycling, yoga, hiking, dancing and walking – all these can help in detoxification. Do them prior to eating a meal or juicing to maximize their effects.
- Increase your fiber intake – Fiber works like a sponge since it absorbs toxins from your body. This makes it effective in speeding up toxic elimination and cleansing. You can get natural fiber from fruits, whole grains, and vegetables. Take organic flaxseed as this is particularly rich in fiber.
- Rebuild your immune system – Chemotherapy and radiation treatments can significantly affect your immune system, so you have to do something to rebuild it. Getting enough sleep, keeping stress at bay and staying away from sugar are just a few of the many ways to restore the health of your immune system.
Chemotherapy recovery does not have to be that difficult. By following the tips in this article, you can speed up the healing process, bringing your life back on track.