Research by Dr. Frank Shallenberger showed that just like green tea, Seanol and others, bitter melon is effective in control pancreatic cancer by killing the cancer cells.
Because of its bitter taste, many people stay away from bitter melon, but do you know if you add it to your daily diet, you can get many wonderful health benefits as it is rich in vital vitamins and minerals:
- Pantothenic acid
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
10 benefits of bitter melon for your health:
1. Diabetes (Type II): There have been studies that show that bitter melon can increase glucose metabolism, hence lowering blood sugar. A cup of its juice daily is recommended by experts. If you are adding this fruit to your diet, be sure to consult your doctor and monitor your blood sugar regularly.
2. Liver: Bitter melon acts as a tonic for the liver. Liver cirrhosis, constipation and hepatitis can be relieved when you take in this tonic. Gall bladder function can be improved and relief from symptoms of IBS can also be gained.
3. Kidney stones: Bitter melon helps in eliminating kidney stones from the body by breaking them down naturally. It reduces high acid levels that cause this problem.
4. Pancreatic cancer: Research has shown that bitter melon has the ability to disrupt glucose production, controlling the growth of cells that cause pancreatic cancer. Colon, prostate, liver and breast cancer may also be prevented.
5. Source of Vitamin K: Bitter melon is a rich source of this vitamin. This is great as Vitamin K helps in improving bone health and blood clotting. It also helps prevent arthritis and inflammation of joints.
6. Weight loss: This wondrous fruit has a very low calorie count, making it an ideal food for those who are attempting to lose weight. It is also beneficial if you want to maintain a healthy weight rather than losing it.
7. Cholesterol: It’s important to keep your cholesterol in a healthy level, low cholesterol may prevent the risk of heart disease and heart attacks effectively. Levels of cholesterol in the body can be significantly lowered by eating more bitter melon.
8. Carbohydrate digestion: As carbohydrates are converted into sugar in the body, they can be dangerous for Type II diabetes patients. Bitter melon increases the metabolism of sugar and decreases the storage of fats. Proper digestion of carbohydrates also helps in the growth and development of muscles.
9. Skin improvement: The intake of bitter melon is known to treat skin disorders such as eczema, psoriasis and acne. Since it has blood-purifying properties, it will give you healthy glowing skin.
10. Improved immunity: Bitter melon is known to help in the improvement of the immune system, making sure that diseases and infections are effectively fought off. Acid reflux and yeast infections can be treated naturally with this wonderful fruit.
Bitter melon can be cooked in a variety of ways. Steps to Prepare Your Own Bitter Melon