Why should we take fermented cod liver oil? Great question. Let’s be honest, it doesn’t sound very appealing. However, this traditional super food has an impressive lists of benefits, which is why so many continue to utilize it on daily basis, including myself.
Fermented cod liver oil has been around for a very long time. Some refer to it as “the original superfood.” In fact, many of the history’s greatest cultures have used this sacred food to ensure health and vitality. Roman Soldiers took it daily. The Scandinavian Vikings kept a drum of fermenting cod livers outside the door of their homes. And not that long ago, grandmas across the country had it in their cupboard.
Below are 3 reasons my family and I takes fermented cod liver oil on a daily basis.
3 Major Benefits of Fermented Cod Liver Oil
Dr. Joseph Mercola insists that “Vitamin D is one of the simplest solutions to wide ranging health problems.” Despite this fact, it is estimated that more than 70% of Americans are Vitamin D deficient today.
So how do we get more vitamin D? Direct sunlight is a great source… assuming that you don’t wear sunscreen, live are in the right area of the world at the right time of year, and you are actually going outside during the right hours of the day. Not as easy as one would think.
Any guess as to what the best food source for Vitamin D is? You guessed it… Fermented cod liver oil.
Vitamin D has it’s own long list of benefits such as:
- Bone Health
- Muscle Strength
- Muscle Power and Force Development
- Lean Body Mass
- Treatment for Psoriasis and other Skin Disorders
- Blood Sugar Regulation and Insulin Resistance
- Preventing Multiplie Sclerosis
- Cancer Prevention
- Asthma Treatment
- Male & Female Reproductive Health
- Cardiovascular Health
- Brain Health
- Fetal Brain Development
- Treatment of Depression and Brain Disorders
- Immune Function
- Kidney Health
- Treatment for Hypertension and Metabolic Diseases
- Prevention of Obesity
- Prevention of Parkinson’s
- Prevention of Rickets, Osteomalacia, and Osteoporosis
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Prevention and Treatment
- Treatment of Autoimmune Conditions
- Treatment of Childhood Anemia
- Prevention of Infections
Consider these reasons for making sure you have enough vitamin A:
- Aids in good vision
- Regulates genes
- Supports the immune system
- Vital for red blood cell production
- Builds and maintain skin health
- Builds and maintains teeth, bones and mucous membranes.
- Stops the development of breast cancer
- Increases resistance to infection in children.
Vitamin A is a co-factor for Vitamin D, which is one reason why it’s important to have both vitamins together.
Essential Fatty Acids
Beyond being the powerhouse it is for vitamins A and D, Fermented Cod liver oil is rich in docasahexaenoic acid (or DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (or EPA). The body creates these fatty acids from omega-3 linolenic acid. These essential fatty acids are absolutely essential for the proper function of the brain and the nervous system.
More benefits of EFAs are:
- Supports healthy skin and hair
- Used in the formation of healthy cell membranes
- Essential for proper thyroid and adrenal activity
- Essential for production of hormones
- Regulates blood pressure, liver function, inflammatory and immune responses
- Regulates blood clotting
- Crucial for the transport and breakdown of cholesterol
It’s important to know that not all cod liver oil is made equally.
Around the time of the industrial revolution, the manufacturing of cod liver oil became much less natural. Supplement manufacturers began extracting the oil in a way that strips out the key vitamins like A and D. After the extractions, they add synthetic versions of these same vitamins. Fermented cod liver oil is raw, and not exposed to any heat over 110 degrees, therefore has all of the natural vitamins and benefits that it should.
It’s little wonder that fermented cod liver oil has been used for so many years. In fact, fermented cod liver oil was often regarded as a critical part of a fertility diet, proving to be essential prior to conception, during pregnancy, and for growing children. It’s also one of my family’s immediate “go to” remedies when we feel a cold coming on. It’s powerful stuff.
Share with friends and family, and maybe change someone’s life who’s struggling with issues that are listed above.